Tensions Expressions of Interest Closed.
Closing date: Sunday, 17th February 2019.
Expressions of interest for the Tamworth Textile Triennial, to be held in August 2020. The Tamworth Textile Triennial showcases the best of textile art from across the country, attracting the participation of artists from all states, wide audiences and critical review.
Tamworth Textile Triennial
Performance, Interaction and Material Futures
20/20 Vision is the standard notation used to indicate perfect vision. It bases its declaration of ‘perfect’ on only one thing: sharpness of vision when standing approximately six metres from an eye chart. Meanwhile, other worthwhile attributes are ignored – such as peripheral awareness, eye coordination, depth perception, focusing ability and colour vision.
The saying ‘hindsight is 20/20’ suggests that the distance afforded by time enables us to better understand the past and that, by extension, hindsight might assist us to make better decisions about our future. But does this reflection take into consideration the diversity of perspectives required to really learn from the past?
If there is one thing that hindsight has taught us, it is the danger of drawing meaning from only one perspective.
Tension(s) 2020 acknowledges that the world has long been a place under various tension(s), both harmonious and dissonant. In order to bear witness to, contribute to and respond to these tensions, the triennial will focus on the future of people and place through textile as a material and human experience as materiality. By exploring other perspectives through the metaphor of tension, we ask:
- How could textiles consider people and place in developing new installation ideas?
- How might textiles collaborate with other interactive mediums to offer new perspectives?
- How can we articulate complex narratives through engaging textiles in performance?
I hope that, through Tension(s) 2020, the materiality of our combined working practices and perspectives can be realised beyond the scope of a rather parochial, one-dimensional, 20/20 view.
- Curator Vic McEwan.
Terms and conditions
- Expressions of interest will be accepted from artists, over 18 years, living and working in Australia
- The panel will not consider any materials submitted, other than those identified in this submission
- Artists will be paid an exhibition package, which includes a $1,000 artist fee, artwork freight, artwork photography, flights and accommodation to visit Tamworth in consultation with the Gallery Director and three copies of the exhibition catalogue
- Where on the artist is selected for the 4th Tamworth Textile Triennial, the artist authorises the reproduction of imagesof their work, their artist statement and CV in the catalogue, education kit, website, promotion and other material produced for the 4th Tamworth Textile Triennial
- Expressions of Interest submitted after the closing date will not be accepted
Any personal information you have supplied to or is collected by Tamworth Regional Council will only be stored and processed by Council for lawful purposes directly related to the functions and activities of Council. Any personal information supplied will only be disclosed to a third party for the purpose of performing a lawful function or activity and for no other purpose. Disclosure of personal information to a third party will be in accordance with Tamworth Regional Council's Privacy Management Plan