The Tamworth Regional Gallery Collection started with a gift of 100 paintings and works on paper from artist John Salvana in 1919 and was added to in 1961 by the Burdekin bequest, a substantial gift of 19th- and early 20th- century Australian and European works. In 1963 the Lyttleton-Taylor Family donated the Regan Silverware Collection of early Australian silverware.
The Tamworth Textile Collection evolved from the first ‘Tamworth Textile’ exhibitions held in the 1970s to become a nationally significant collection comprising excellent examples of works that document the changes in textile practice over the past 40 years. The collection includes works from some of Australia’s most innovative and acclaimed textile artists, as well as regional artists and craftspeople. Tamworth Regional Gallery is well known for the development of the Tamworth Textile Triennial, which tours nationally.